Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Focus, Accept, Recommit

I have a few wonderful announcements.  

In case you didn't know... I've been in Utah for a few days.  I had a job interview that happened to coincide with a random trip to visit friends.  I've been carefully tracking my caloric intake & fitting in as much physical exertion as possible.  I walk Effy everyday and I try to exercise when the girls are at school or at work.  I'm making a conscious effort to try and take the most physical route possible because I want to be healthy (aka happy)!  Just sayin.

Oh remember that birthday goal I have, to lose 75 lbs before I turn 23.  Fun fact... I weighed in this morning.  I've lost 4 lbs since last Wednesday!  That means I've lost a total of 76 lbs.  I'm still in shock.  It's surreal to think when I looked at that scale this morning and was 19 lbs away from my total weight loss goal of 95 lbs.

I now fit into my goal size.  I'm a size 14.  I mean, I really fit in them.  I'm talking about virtually no muffin-top when I wear them.  They're not sitting, folded up in my closet taunting me anymore.  I even bought two more pairs and have been essentially banned from wearing anything else (thank you Kylie & Kaitlyn).  

Another most splendid thing happened.  Two people complimented me in a way that changed my life.  An extended family member who has watched my progress over the last 9 months finally learned my pant size a few weeks ago (I was a comfortable size 16), to which she exclaimed "Really!?  Looking at you, I would have guessed you were my size, a 12 or 14."  I know it doesn't sound like much, but it was more uplifting than you could ever imagine!  I was on cloud nine for days.  Then this week, while I've been staying with my friend Kylie, I've had the opportunity to spend time & make friends with her roommates.  Her roommate Chelsea told me that I did NOT look my current weight.  That I looked like I weighted around 160 lbs.  Needless to say my jaw hit the floor.  Then when I woke up and weighed in and am 19 lbs away from my goal... holy smokes.  I feel pretty amazing.

I'm not going to lie about how difficult it has been to phase into the my new body.  More often than not I look in the mirror and still see me 76 lbs ago.  I notice every flaw, every jiggle, and every imperfection.  It's frustrating and often discouraging.  I often joke about being "cute" or "pretty" or "hot" just to help myself believe that I'm not completely unappealing.  I know it sounds stupid and I understand that it's annoying and distasteful; hence, it's a habit I'm trying to curb.  I need to remember my previous rants and diatribes.  Being healthy is the goal.  Feeling confident is the goal.  Having sex appeal is not.  This is about me, not about men.  I want to be able to love everything about myself: my personality, my intellect, and my body.  I want every woman to be able to feel the same way.  To look in a mirror and smile, not immediately point out a problem.  I need to remember that.  I need to practice what I preach.  

I need to focus on my opinion of myself, focus on my perception of myself, and focus on my goals.  I need to accept myself, accept my flaws, accept my imperfections and love myself regardless.  I need to recommit to my purpose, recommit to my goals, and most importantly recommit to myself.  This is a journey of self-discovery; a conscious effort to change my life everyday.  I need to focus, accept, recommit, and only then will I have real progress. 

Just sayin.

Love ya dolls!

~Mych


1 comment: